In this recipe the two "uncombinable" ingredients, as prawns and bacon, become a really succulent dish. The prawns become even more juicy and are irresistible with their crispy jacket. The herbs add some fresh flavor as well...
10-12 king prawns
10-12 thin non-smoked bacon/lard slices
1 garlic clove
1. Wash the prawns quickly and dry them with a paper towel.
Note: If you wash them for long they loose their taste...
2. Take the shell off the body but keep the first row next to the head, this way the body won't secede from the head.
3. De-vein the prawns this way: make a cut with a sharp knife long the vein and pool it away by hand.
4. Chop the herbs finely and squeeze the garlic with a garlic squeezer.
5. Mix the herbs, garlic and 4-5 tbs of extra virgin olive oil in a flat plate.
6. Place a prawn over the mix and turn it over, repeat with all the prawns.
7. Leave the prawns to marinate for 5 minutes.
8. If your bacon is not sliced, then slice the bacon in very thin slices with a really sharp knife.
Note: If you put the bacon/lard piece in the freezer couple of hours before cooking, it will help slicing a lot.
9. Wrap the prawn body with a bacon slice and put aside, continue with all the prawns.
10. Heat a nonstick pan till it's really hot over high heat.
11. Place the prawns in a circle over the pan and when you have finished with them start turning the prawns that you put first over. Wait just couple of minutes and when the bacon is crispy, the prawns are ready.
12. Serve the prawns with some green papaya salad, you may find the recipe HERE.