Pad Thai is prepared with a special Pad Thai sauce which combines opposite tastes like sour and sweet and salty, but the combination is absolutely perfect: after you've prepared this delicious sauce I would like to see if you won't lick the spoon....
150-180g wide rice noodles
50g firm tofu
10-12 medium fresh shrimps
handful of soy bean sprouts
1 garlic clove
3cm cube of ginger
4-5tbs vegetable oil
fresh coriander leaves
For Pad Thai Sauce:
2tbs fish sauce
2tbs oyster sauce
3tbs tamarind juice
1/3 palm sugar round brick
One of the most important ingredients for the Pad Thai Noodles is obviously the Pad Thai Sauce.
1. If you have dry tamarind, soak 2tbs of tamarind paste in 1/3 glass of water for a half an hour, then pass it through a stainer to get the juice.
2. Chop palm sugar in small pieces as it comes in dry round bricks.
3. Mix the ingredients for the sauce in a small sauce pan and bring it to boiling over medium heat, then boil for a couple of minutes.
Note: Pad Thai Sauce is a perfect mix of saltiness, sweetness and sourness.
4. Peel the shrimps and devein them.
5. Cut tofu into thin match-sticks.
6. Soak rice noodles in warm water for 5 minutes and then drain them.
Note: The noodles should be still a bit firm.
7. Pour vegetable oil in a wok pan and put the wok over high heat.
8. Add squeezed garlic and grated ginger.
9. Add tofu and fry it for a couple of minutes.
10. Add an egg and scramble it.
Note: I usually use tongs to mix the ingredients in my wok pan.
11. Add shrimps...
12. Add rice noodles and the sauce. Stir well!!!
12. At the end add soy sprouts, stir well and switch off the heat.
Note: As the dish is cooked over high heat, so you need to add all the ingredients one after the other with just a quick stirring.
13. Crush some peanuts or cashew nuts (I prefer these) and chop some fresh coriander.
14. Serve your Pad Thai noodles sprinkled with some chilli, crushed peanuts, chopped coriander and a slice of lime aside, you will squeeze it over the dish just before eating.
ขอให้เจริญอาหาร! (kŏr hâi jà-rern aa-hăan!)