Saturday 9 February 2013

Quiche with Broccoli

Hey, it wasn't much easy to start but so much difficult to continue....
I realized that even if I have made more pictures in my life than an everage person, I still cannot catch a nice shot of what I'm cooking..... hmmmmm...... So, what? - I thought... I'll learn in the process....
Ah, I have nearly forgotten: Mind, I'm not a native English speaker, so..... be so kind not to pay attention to my mistakes!.... :-) Why am I writing in English then? The thing is that I have soooo many English-speaking friends from all over the world and they would never ever forgive me for not sharing with them what I'm posting.....

Sooooo, what shall we cook today?


Quiche with Broccoli

 I actually don't call it "quiche",  for me it's just a "Salty cake" as it's not sweet so... salty! Call it a Pie if you like it better....
I like preparing this type of a pie when I cannot decide what to have for dinner or if there's a holiday and I don't have much time for cooking.... 



INGREDIENTS:

230-250g Brisèe Dough
2 small Broccoli OR 1 big one
3-4 slices of Prosciutto Cotto (Ham)
1/2 Scamorza cheese
3 Eggs
150g Ricotta
salt

1. Clean the broccoli and divide it into small parts, then boil it without adding salt. If you want to preserve it's nice and green color, never add salt while boiling it, you can do it later while the broccoli is still hot. If you have enough time you can always cook the broccoli a bit more in a pan with some olive oil, salt and chilli to give some more taste.
Cool the broccoli to the room temperature.

2. Switch the oven on to preheat it.


3. Cut scamorza and prosciutto into small pieces.
4. Mix eggs and ricotta in a bowl, add some salt. Try not to measure when you need to add salt, I advise you just to taste the food, then you will be able to add a right amount of salt to your dishes, it will become spontaneous ....



5.  Add ham and cheese to the egg mix.





6. This time I used a 22cm silicon cake form but if you a bigger one your cake is just going to be thinner.
So, unwrap the Brisèe dough and place it in the form carefully. The excess of the dough should be cut off leaving 1cm over the ridge of the form. You will use it for decoration. Cut the excess of the dough with a sharp knife and try not to break the stripes.
I usually buy ready Pate Brisèe but if you prefer you can prepare it yourself, I'll try to post the recipe later on.   

7. Fill the form with broccoli and cover it with the cheese-egg mix.
8. Place the stripes of the dough to form a grate. After that turn inside that 1cm of dough that you left over the ridge of the form, pinching it after each 1.5-2cm to create a decoration ....  

9.  Cook the pie at the temperature of 200C for about 30 minutes. Sometimes the time depends on the oven so check that your pie has a nice gold color before taking it out of the oven.


 10. Cool your pie down on a cake grate not to render the bottom of it moist and sticky.




 I'm pretty sure that even those who don't like veges will have a slice of this cake.....

 Note: You can bake this pie with different fillings, like spinach and ricotta or fried artichokes... I'll add some more filling for the quiche later....

No comments:

Post a Comment